1. You find yourself surprisingly annoyed at people not following signs / rules. “There’s a queue lady. A QUEUE!” “Hey Mister – KEEP OFF THE GRASS!!” Jeez – what are these people – raised in a barn or something?
2. You can predict the weather like a trained meteorologist. (A trained meteorologist who has shit to do outdoors.) “Those black clouds? We have easily 7 minutes before that hits, and it won’t last more than 11 minutes.
3. Anyone with a car which isn’t white or black is “a little flashy”.
4. You remember a time when the road outside of Tanglin Mall wasn’t a complete and utter shit show.
5. Your car has at least one significant orange scratch along the side from a carpark ramp.
6. You have a guy for everything: a chicken guy, a milk guy, a picture-hanging guy, a tortilla guy. Also, a girl for everything (albeit different everything): a waxing girl, a hair girl, an interiors girl, and exteriors girl… This is a prized possession and only top-tier friends get those numbers.
7. You can make it through IKEA in 5 minutes flat (because you know the shortcuts to the light duvet section, and from there to the cheese-in-the-fridge section).
8. 31c / 88f and cloudy feels like jeans weather.
9. You frequently return to your car from a walk or a coffee to find a door or a window wide open. Instead of checking to see what’s been taken and looking for a policeman, you roll your eyes at your silliness and rive away with all your possessions intact.
10. You can’t believe that you used to go to those Ladies Nights. Every. Single. Wednesday.
11. Your kids have their own devices purely so that they can skype with the latest of their friends who have left the island. (They do a LOT of Skyping.)
12. You laugh at how you used to consider the flight from Europe to New York (or vice versa) “Long Haul.”
13. Fried rice is a totally acceptable breakfast dish.
14. You carry an umbrella, shopping bags, flip flops and sunscreen on your person at all times.
15. You no longer take a photo of the price tag of every item in the supermarket and stick it on FB. (Just the CNY oranges. Because $88 for a small dish of tangerines is expensive by anyone’s standards. But $15 for milk? Entirely normal.)